RGC1404 | 1st Team 81 - 7 Dunvant RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
28 January 2017 / Team News

Leach Leads the Line In Cup Win.

RGC racked up 13 tries in a big victory against Championship side Dunvant at Eirias to progress to the 2nd round of the WRU National Cup.  Most of the damage was done in the opening 40 minutes as the home side were clinical with ball in hand.

Afon Bagshaw showed the intent from the opening whistle when he made a 40 yard run to cut through the visitor’s defence, before giving the ball to Josh Leach but his pass went high.

RGC Head Coach Mark Jones had told his side to be “mentally switched on from kick off” and his players adhered to his pre-game instructions.

The opening try came soon after when the RGC backline shifted the ball through hands before Sam Jones collected and raced down the wing to score. Botica nudged the conversion over.

Centre Josh Leach was using the ball well, and his offload nearly gave winger Jones another opportunity but the speedster was put into touch.

Dunvant were using the boot to clear the ball and try and pin RGC back, but Bagshaw was picking the ball up and running at them with pace. Try number 2 arrived after Will Bryan took the pass on a great line to break the tackle and touchdown. Another conversion from Botica extended the lead.

The home side made 2 enforced changes in the opening 20 minutes with Tim Grey and Sam Jones coming off and Huw Worthington and Tom Hughes coming on. RGC were causing problems with every attack and it was the turn off the pack to cause some damage with Rhys Williams coming up with the score after a drive over the line.

Tries 4 and 5 came in quick succession when centres Josh Leach and Danny Cross crossed the whitewash. The Eirias faithful were being entertained and the scores racked up with captain Maredydd Francis and Jacob Botica getting tries and the fly-half hit both conversions as well.

Dunvant did get on the scoreboard when scrum half Ben Ley took a quick tap to go over with Aled Lewis kicking the conversion.

Josh Leach was impressing at centre and he picked up his 2nd try after a Hopkins run down the wing. Botica added the extras to hit the 50 point mark.

It was try number 9 just before halftime with Bagshaw breaking and Tom Hughes supporting to collected the pass and the score.

Tom Hughes opened up the scoring in the 2nd half when Cam Davies set him up with a run down the wing, before the replacement scrum half grabbed a try himself on his first game of the season. Bagshaw took the conversion and scored.

Josh Leach was showing his versatility when he dropped in to blindside flanker when Mei Parry came off.

The game struggled to reach the attacking echelons of the opening 40 minutes, and there were a few breaks in play that dulled the tempo.  The crowd were warmed up when Josh Leach marked an impressive performance with his hatrick try with added points from the boot of Bagshaw.

Dunvant were reduced to 14 men when Jamie Nicholas was yellow carded and RGC made that count when Huw Worthington ran in for the try and Bagshaw ended the game with another conversion.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos