RGC1404 | 1st Team 51 - 17 Ebbw Vale RFC | 1st Team
Rhys Williams
Try 1
Tiaan Loots
Try 1
Aron Wyn Evans
Try 1
Evan Yardley
Try 1
Maredydd Francis
Try 1
William Bryan
Try 1
Thomas Worthington
Try 1
Jacob Nikkola Kenny Botica
Conversion 5
Penalty 1
Daniel Jack Cross
Penalty 1
Jack Goodey
1 Try
David Langdon
2 Conversion
1 Penalty

Match Report
03 December 2016 / Team News

Steelmen Put To The Sword

Head Coach Mark Jones asked for a response from his side after last weeks performance at Bedwas, and the players delivered “When we have had a few below par performances we have always bounced back, and we knew what was needed today. It was a big test and we looked at our speed of game, playing smart and looking to hit Ebbw Vale on the attack. The back  gave us the gain-line breaks and the forwards were able to recycle the ball.  That fast ball was key our play and 50% of all ball was fast in the 1st half. It was good to see that the details we worked on with the players were taken on board and delivered on the field

“We can only measure ourselves against ourselves in regards of performance, and the 1st half we started with real intent.” 

“The players a break next week, the coaches have review and then are boys back for mini fitness and skills for couple of weeks and we will work on technique and set piece as we have some difficult games coming up.”

RGC blew Premiership Champions Ebbw Vale away with a barnstorming 1s half performance at Eirias.

Coming off the back of the defeat against Bedwas last weekend Mark Jones side started with real intent, and Rhys Williams was first to cause some danger with a run through the visitors defence.

Jacob Botica had a chance to open the scoring with a penalty, but the range from the halfway line fell short of the posts.

The Gogs continues to crank up the pressure on the Steelmens defence, and Alex Schwarz went close to scoring but the touch judge flagged for a foot in touch.  The RCG scrum half was instrumental in getting the ball to his backline quickly, which was clearly the game plan from the side-lines.

As the 10 minute mark passed RGC picked up the try thanks to Will Bryan who offloaded to Evan Yardley and the hooker dashed down the line to score. Botica kicked the conversion.

Ebbw Vale looked to get on the score sheet themselves but as they were close to the RGC line, the ball was turned over and Tiaan Loots made a 50 yard dash before passing to Aron Evans. Not only did it relieve the pressure but earnt RGC a penalty in which Botica hit to extend the lead.

A couple of minutes later and Ebbw Vale were back in the game.  The trademark Steelmen drive resulted in a penalty try before Dai Langdon added the extras.

Eirias was being entertained with some great attacking rugby, and the scores kept on coming when Huw Worthington crossed the whitewash.

The one thing RGC were struggling with was the restarts and once again Ebbw Vale edged closer to the Gogs when Langdon nailed a penalty.

If Ebbw Vale thought they were gaining a foothold in the game, then the next 10 minutes of rugby from RGC was as good as it gets.

First Will Bryan took the ball on a great line and ran hard through the Ebbw Vale bodies to touch down under the posts. Botica nudged the conversion over.

Ebbw Vales wows continued when centre Nathan Preece was given a yellow card and RGC certainly made the man advantage count.

The angles of running and fast ball combination were creating some big gaps in the Ebbw Vale defence and RGC were punishing them time and time again.

RGC speedster Aron Evan put his after burners to get the bonus point try with another Botica conversion.

Minute’s later centre Loots evaded a number of tackles to make some big yards before passing to Tom Hughes who was tackled just short of the line, but a clever pass from the ground to the supporting Maredydd Francis ended with the try.  Extras once again from Botica.

If the previous scores were good, then try number 6 was first class.  Ebbw Vale were turned over on the RGC line and the break was on, the backs raced on offloading at the right point before Tiaan Loots finished off.  It was another standout moment at Eiras and was a superb way to end the half.

The job was pretty much done in the opening 40 minutes, and with a 43 to 10 lead the 2nd half didn’t match any of the heights.

Ebbw Vale did test RGC on a few occasions but the pack matched the visitors on every occasion.  As the half went on a number of substitutions were made and the flow of the game ebbed away.

Towards the end of the game Tiaan Loots was given a yellow card, but it wasn’t going to make a difference.  On the 76th minute try number 7 arrived when hooker Rhys Williams finished off a good move. 

Ebbw Vale did cross for a score in the final minutes, with Langdon converting.

As the clock ran down RGC were given a penalty and Danny Cross scored it to make sure RGC broke the 50 point mark before the final whistle went.

It was a performance to remember and a fitting way to end the final home game of the year for both players, coaches and fans alike.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos